Monday, 24 May 2010


I feel that there is need for another smaller project I can make that gives me fast results and some kind of joy from game development. I have several small roguelike projects that I started some time ago, but then again, why stick to roguelikes?

While I have good ideas for new games I also might have some minor personal problems, you know, in life. It's got a lot to do with my relationship to computers, programming and games. There must be something more in life, at least that's what they say. But what? I feel like I have lost my interest to pretty much everything. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Friday, 21 May 2010

Teemu v1.11 coming soon

There was one fatal bug found in Teemu. It's in Tar_Ball::Load function. delete nb should be delete[] nb. I'm surprised it didn't crash the game, but it's a problem that has to be fixed and that's why I'm going to release a new version. I'm also going to apply changes suggested by aave @ RogueTemple which should make compiling for linux easier. I'm also going to throw in the makefile for linux that aave created.

This release is going to be a bug fix and improvement for portability type of thing. I don't want to start add features, I have to stay focused on Kaduria.

Friday, 14 May 2010

Source code released

Teemu's source code is now released, download it from Teemu homepage. Now when v1.1 and source code are both released I can return to Kaduria. It's a different, more complex project, but I have noticed that when I "practice" with smaller projects like Teemu it's sometimes giving new perspective how things could be done. In other words you learn stuff.

Thursday, 13 May 2010

Teemu v1.1 released


It's windows only, but there is good news for those waiting for the source code. I made a gcc port with great success. There were couple of things I had to fix, but all in all it went really smooth. Now when it's gcc compatible there is a good chance that it will be more portable than just the native Visual C++ version. gcc is complaining about the Teemu_Gui class initializer list, but it should not cause any bugs. I'm going to go through the source code and look for some things to fix before the source code release.

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

Slight offset trouble

I've been testing Teemu in window mode, now I tried it in fullscreen and this is what I got:

The offset of window border is wrong. Somehow it looks like SDL is including borders if the window size is not a standard one like 800x600. If I can't fix this really fast it's goodbye for fullscreen mode.

Playtesting finished

I'm pretty much done with playtesting Teemu. Everything seems to work, at least the important stuff. There is just one thing I want to add before release. It's a support for smaller font, because the current window size is 960x780 with bigger fonts. I want to support less than 800x600 resolution. I already made smaller fonts and backgrounds for them, but still need to adjust source code. I just can't do it today.

Tuesday, 11 May 2010

More bugs, part 2

Fixed those four bugs, but found two more. And need to adjust two features. Now it's mainly playtesting, I don't have to add any major features. Playtesting is getting a little boring, maybe it's because Teemu is such a simple game. To avoid dullness you need more variations in monsters and items, which Teemu doesn't provide at the moment.

Monday, 10 May 2010

More bugs

Fixed light source problems, but found four bugs. They should be easy to fix. There are many things I would want to add in this release, but I have to get this ready soon. Oh, another thing, I got my old job back and it starts next week. Bugger! Good thing is that I get more money to buy guitar gear, but it takes some energy and time away from roguelike programming. Anyway, I'm going to set up gcc development environment at work so I can do some development while at work. It works pretty well, because my job is often projects I have to do in certain time limit and then I have some spare time to use.

Saturday, 8 May 2010

Bugs fixed

All open bugs are now fixed in Teemu. Feels nice, but I'm sure there are more bugs to find when I playtest the game. What comes to features I really want to add size for objects, because it will hopefully make damage model more complicated and add variation to monsters, and it should improve balance issues.

Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Bug hunting

Some bugs are harder to fix, because they are more like features that  need checking in many places to work correctly. There are seven open bugs, but I guess I will find more during the playtesting. I just heard that I might get a job, like actual real life job. It's annoying. Why this has to happen now, when I'm finishing this project?

Monday, 3 May 2010


The gameplay of Teemu v1.1 is now ready for testing. Should be possible to win the game again. I have playtested it a bit and noticed that cave bats are maybe too powerful. The reason for that is the damage model where damage is taken only from the damage type. That means every monster using bite (like bats) attack take exactly same amount of damage. To fix that I'm planning to add size for all objects and make small enemies do less damage.

I don't know what extra features I will include before the release. It's like that, if you add something it will delay the release for days, even weeks. I don't have to include all planned features for this release, they can wait to v1.2.