Sunday, 31 January 2010


Some levels of Teemu are now dark. The lighting routine is simple and I want to keep it that way to get v1.1 released as soon as possible. Player's light has FOV (which is the main fov routine) but other lights are just plotted over the light map without checking walls for visibility.

As I mentioned earlier the source code of Teemu is not going to be too spectacular. Some parts are "traditional" straightforward programming, but I believe there are also good parts. I have cleaned the source code however, like removing functions that are not used in this particular project. There were quite a lot of that stuff, because some classes were borrowed from Kaduria and Stile.

I feel good about this, while couple of months ago I didn't believe I could finish v1.1 any time soon.

Sunday, 24 January 2010

Teemu v1.1 in two weeks

Left Kaduria for a while and continued Teemu's next version. I'm also kind of polishing the source code for release. I got the idea when struggling with the horrible source code of BRogue. The source code of Teemu is not perfect, it's like a fusion of old school procedural and "modern" data-driven approach, but I think it could give some ideas how to use OOP in light weight manner. I think OOP is easy to learn, but hard to master. You can go crazy with it for no good reason and that's why some people don't like it.

There is only one source code level refactoring to do which is terrain code, but then I also have to add the new content I was planning to do for v1.1 and it's not going to happen fast, but I think it could be done in two weeks, or months...