Sunday 17 March 2019

Banana Rogue

The license of Advanced Rogue tells you can't use name Advanced if you derive from it so the project name could be Banana Rogue and in the story you work in a banana plantation, but want to escape hard working conditions in nearby deadly dungeon which sounds much better option.

I found rnd() function from main.cpp and it really looks like main could need some cleaning up. There is some kind of "network" code which is going to be removed. Also, there are signal handlers in case the program crashes which makes the player die from bug. I think it's better remove those also, because if the game crashes it's better to make it possible to load the game from possible existing save game.

This project really needs a gui module and there is already io.cpp which has things like msg for message output, but it could have everything gui related in it. I think the game doesn't have a "level" structure but it has at least four WINDOW arrays (which work as layers) which I think are from missing curses library. They are simply char arrays if I'm interpreting the code correctly.

I found another 'when' keyword switch-case which has the first keyword 'case' but the rest are 'when'. It's quite baffling, because I can't even find any mentions of 'when' being a keyword in C.

No comments: