Saturday 16 March 2019

Confronting a vast cosmic mystery

It might be possible that the random Advanced Rogue source code that I downloaded from somewhere and started to work on could be obfuscated. One clue for this are the missing function declarations, but I've also seen a switch - case with two 'when' keywords. Or could it really be possible that it's written in some kind of special version of C?

Anyway, rather than trying to compile one file at a time (which is still not even possible) I've started to re-create header files for each file with functions it has. There are some functions that has to be replaced, but luckily more modern alternatives are possible without changing the call style. One of those is msg() which has a vararg style parameter list, but the syntax is different than it will be in the "modern" version and also I'm probably going to change the internal implementation to std::string, because it just looks like it's better that way.

The number of datatypes I've seen this far is reasonable, it's four: coord, object, thing and linked_list. The last one is a manual linked list as the name implies and it could be heterogeneous through void pointer magic, but I'm not sure yet. But it's using macros to allocate memory for objects. I'm not sure if it's useful to replace that with something safer, at least if it actually works.

No comments: