Wednesday 16 June 2021

Midsummer update

Banana Rogue: This project is doing well, I'm currently rewriting all linked list routines which is a big task, but far from impossible. As a bonus it's making save/load game much easier to implement. I like working on this project probably the most, because it's so bananas. The source code of Advanced Rogue is really old, but still manageable. I think it's way better than Nethack's source code.

Saladir: This project resembles Advanced Rogue, but the source code is quite bit cleaner. This also needs a new save/load and file routines etc. but this is on hold for now.

Teemu 1.3: Most of the hard work is done, but the bane of my existence or also called RPG system is still unfinished.

Brick Atelier: I have put some effort even to this project which is a tile editor. It's also going nicely, missing some key features which I'm working on (moving, scaling and rotating selection, brush pad etc.).

Ban from RogueTemple forums: I figured out I can read RogueTemple forums from my work (they even used some kind of IP banning to prevent that) and there was a thread concerning my permanent ban. In that Slash (moderator/owner of RT) says that I was not banned for SJW reasons... which is, well, a strange thing to say. As I said before, I was banned retroactively when the rules changed. I didn't break any new rules, there was no time to do that. Even better, I never had any problems before. I didn't get any shorter bans (well, at least that I can remember) and I was not warned about my messages. Some users didn't like me, because I was attacking their ideas about what a roguelike game is. If it makes me an asshole then I proudly want to be that. I know I can be abrasive, but in my mind I'm just passionate. I don't like people who try to make black appear white. It's not white, it's black. We all know what a roguelike game is, why even try to change it? Make your own game genre and call it whatever you want and stop trying to change the reality.

In a situation like this there is nothing you can do. Slash runs the forum, it's his call to ban anyone for any reason, but I didn't like how it happened. It was dirty and everyone should know it. Even if the ban would be removed I would never come back for what they did to me.

No comments: