Monday 29 March 2021

The Secret Of Saladir

Back in the old days there were some interesting roguelike projects like Genrogue by Kornel Kisielewicz and there was also The Legend Of Saladir. It was a "thing" to have a major roguelike project that was going to be better than anything else, such a thing is I guess a nice dream to have for no-life programmer nerds. And obviously I had and still have my main project Kaduria, so I was in that same scene which now is mostly gone.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I was browsing github to find interesting projects to work on (like I'm doing with Advanced Rogue). The author had released Saladir's source code 8 years ago, and apparently no one knew or cared about it. However, sadly it's not open source, but then again neither is Teemu even the source code is available. Even worse, it's sad to find out that Saladir was never going to be the next major roguelike. The source code reveals a lot about the state of the project, let's just put it that way.

Sometimes I think the scene we had was more important than the games, because it was just a bunch of idiots dreaming about the next major roguelike. Obviously some of us knew what to do (Thomas Biskup with ADOM for example), but there were a lot of guys who didn't have a clue. I must admit I was one of those dudes, but my perseverance got me in where I'm now. Which does feel like I'm just in the beginning of my journey as a game developer.

No comments: