Monday 5 June 2023

Brick Atelier release crunch

Working on a release of the next version of Brick Atelier. It's absolutely hilarious how long these projects take. I began to work on this in 2003 or 2004. It's 20 years ago, although the last release was as "recent" as 2013. Anyways, working on the release is annoying as ever. Testing has revealed more bugs than I would like to fix, even though I know this release will have bugs and/or unfinished features. I had to stop implementing features to move things towards the release.

The main features of the new release are multiple tilesets so you can actually copy and paste from tileset to another (although it could be buggy). Then there is the tool shelf idea that every tool has its own set of options etc. One of the hardest features was the brush pad where you can store brushes, but now it's almost ready (you can't yet move brushes in the pad). I think the last of the big features was the color/palette editor, it's also quite ready, but still needs color data and maybe some palettes, too.

Funny thing is that I could actually still need this program to create tiles for Kaduria. This was the original reason why I wanted to make Brick Atelier and seems like there are no pixel painter programs that would have the features I find useful and wouldn't feel sluggish, because they are so large and not really focused on pixel art.

No comments: